Office of the Speaker
The Speaker of Counci, Councillor M. Peter, was elected by Council at its first meeting on 23 August 2016. The Speaker is a full time councillor. The functions of the Speaker are set out in Section 37 of the Municipal Structures Act as follows:
- presides at meetings of the Council;
- performs the duties and exercises the powers delegated to the speaker by the Council
- must ensure that the council meets at least quarterly;
- must maintain order during meetings;
- must ensure compliance in the council and council committees with the Code of Conduct for Councillors as set out in Schedule 1 of the Municipal Systems Act ; and
- must ensure that council meetings are conducted in accordance with the rules and orders of the council.